Amber Leigh took some time to answer our Getting to Know You questions…check out what she had to say!
1. What is the #1 item on your Bucket List? I have a very long bucket list. But I would say as a non-musical venture, I have always wanted to open an animal rescue. I am a huge dog lover and have always donated time to benefit rescue organizations, by playing concerts, giving proceeds of my album sales, and helping to raise money and awareness for all of the no-kill shelters in my area. You may not know this, but when I lived in Nashville, I needed an extra job that was flexible with my music travel and performance schedule. I opened up a dog walking/dog sitting business that also specialized in dog “running” – for over weight dogs! The company did so well, and grew so fast, I took on several employees. I also worked at a local pet store in the grooming department where I washed dogs and advertised my dog walking company. I then got certified and was the head obedience trainer at the store. On top of that, I volunteered at the humane society whenever I could- I rescued 2 dogs from the Nashville shelter and “Zima” is still with me today. Having a big ranch and a way to help homeless dogs make me very happy.
2. What is something that you are passionate about outside of music? I love to eat… My mom is a fantastic cook- fantastic is a understatement- she is phenomenal. I grew up eating some of the best gourmet food and because of that I am a major food snob. My all time favorite food is sushi, but seafood in general is where it is at for me. I love being active out doors, running, (I’ve done 14 half marathons with my best bud and 1 full marathon) surfing, snowboarding is a new love… And I love cars- the faster the better.
3. What artists do you look up to/are inspired by? I really listen to all kinds of music. My husband is originally a jazz drummer, my dad listened to rock while I was growing up, and my mom was the country music fan. I grew up studying classical violin and fiddle playing came second. My love for fiddle music is what got me into performance. Natalie Macmaster is my all-time favorite artist and fiddle player. I love country artists that add really great musicianship to their music- Brad Paisley and his band are at the top of my list for “mainstream” country acts- his fiddle player is killer and his bluegrass chops are fantastic… No, phenomenal!
4. If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life, what would it be? It changes all the time, but right now it would be- “Part 2” brad Paisley
5. If you knew you could pick your final meal, what would it be? Peach Bellinis Oysters Rockefeller Steamers Lobster – at least a 3 pounder! Pretzel jello
6. What is the last music (album or single) that you have purchased? Was it a CD or mp3? MP3! Yours truly
7. What has been your biggest “Wow” moment in your musical career? Realizing that I could song write. I always felt like if I focused on being a better vocalist, musician and entertainer, PLUS being a writer, I would be spread too thin. In Nashville, there were so many contradictions- I had so many people telling me to write, but then always telling me to leave the writing up to “the writers”. Artists were artists and writers were writers. I realized that nobody can write a song with more honesty than you can when writing for yourself. Now I also realized that sometimes I am not writing for me. If myself and co-writers come up with a song that is great, it just may not be for “Amber Leigh”. Many of my songs have gone to other artists and now I am officially writing for Disney artists internationally and The Disney Channel US and international Disney Channel.
8. If you could pitch one song of yours to a major record label executive, what would it be? Today’s the Day
9. What is the best advice you’ve ever been given? Be yourself and be true to what you like to do. Because if you are doing it everyday -you want to love it. I love all the music I put out- and when I perform it 200+ shows a year- I really love it. People always come up to me and say I look like I am having so much fun- it’s because, I AM !
10. What else would you like our readers to know about you? We will be coming out with new singles all year. A new double-disk album is coming out before this summer! I am very excited about the new music. Also, I am putting out a full-length completely instrumental, fiddle album come May.